PET in general use?

Wed Nov 16 04:51:12 UTC 2011

Thank you for this follow-up also.

Maybe the need to separate recyclables will push this into the domain of general use. AFAIK the labeling on plastic bottles is not adequate to make the type of plastic immediately obvious, though it is probably on there somewhere. Clear labeling is probably a requirement to make this a widespread word; otherwise, people will have to look more closely than it's worth before they can identify the bottle plastic type.

Here in Seattle, we put all plastic bottles in the recycle regardless of their make (http://ow.ly/7uWEZ). If non-PET plastic cannot be recycled, then it must be the case that the city's garbage vendor separates it out. If that style of recycling catches on, it could be a hindrance to popularizing this term.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA