Quote: Henry Ford the banking system and a revolution tomorrow

Wed Nov 16 18:02:28 UTC 2011

Many thanks to Joel and Victor for responding. I was unable at this
time to substantiate the attribution to Andrew Jackson of the
following saying:

If the people only understood the rank injustice of our Money and
Banking system, there would be a revolution before morning.

The 2011 book "America in Islamistan: Trade, Oil and Blood" by
Abdulhay Y Zalloum contains the above quote and provides the following
footnote:

Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr., The Age of Jackson, New York, Mentor Books,
1945, 6-7.

Google Books contains multiple editions of Schlesinger's book. The
editions dated 1953 and 1960 are in snippet mode. I was unable to find
the phrase attributed to Jackson in any of the editions of
Schlesinger's book while searching using GB. I also could not find it
with Amazon Look Inside. However, sometimes GB and Amazon indexes are
incomplete. I have not examined the book on paper. So this secondary
source is not verified, and I have not seen any primary sources yet.

The WikiQuote Talk Page for Andrew Jackson shows that list member Ken
Hirsch has done great work exploring another saying about banking
attributed to Jackson that includes the phrase "You are a den of
vipers and thieves."

Jason Zweig of the Wall Street Journal has now written a post titled
"The Wrong Guru for Occupy Wall Street" that mentions the 1938
attribution for Henry Ford contained in the initial article of this
thread. It's wonderful to see a top journalist making the effort to
treat quotations with care:

http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2011/11/15/the-wrong-guru-for-occupy-wall-street/

Garson