Quoted in the NYT:

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 18 16:51:47 UTC 2011

And "ME," which means Maine, "RI," which means Rhode Island,  and
"CA," which means California. So, literally, "American" actually means
"A" person who lives in one of those states only.

It is time for a new name for this country.

JL