"jaw-dropping" in OED

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 21 00:11:09 UTC 2011

To the 2003 def. "astonishing, amazing, awe-inspiring; such as causes
a person's jaw to drop" (from 1962), I'd add "shocking."

Fox News Channel promises "jaw-dropping evidence" that Iran will soon
have The Bomb.

I'd also add:

1900 _Trenton Times_ (Aug. 28) 7 [NewspArch]: Scientific men ...have
learned that "it is estimated" ...authorizes them to tell with
impunity the most jaw dropping, eye bulging whoppers.

JL