Query: Slang "Cool!" in 1868?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 23 00:18:53 UTC 2011

In 1960, the late-great singer-songwiter, Oscar Brown, Jr., wrote and sang:

I've always followed
This golden rule:
"Whatever happens,
DON'T blow your cool!"

The title of this song is, _But, I Was Cool!_ Interested readers can
find it on YouTube.

Ca. 1965, during my brief "adventures in the skin-game," so to speak,
I wondered aloud how it was that a certain 'ho', rail-thin and almost
totally devoid of back, was able to do any business in competition
with chicks who were much finer. My interlocutor replied,

"She has a _cold_ personality."

Within the context of the conversation, it was clear that I was
intended to understand "cold" as meaning, "extraordinarily,
surprisingly, beyond-words cool." And _cool_ had to be understood as
extended from the usual "good" to "nice, pleasing" or even, perhaps,
"empathic."

IME, this positive meaning of "cold" with reference to personality is
a hapax. Otherwise, I've heard it used, whether positively or
negatively, only as cited in HDAS. That is, something very stylish,
cooler than cool, is "cold" and "having a cold _personality_" would be
said only of a pimp or other sociopath.

--
-Wilson
-----