Fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 23 18:48:23 UTC 2011

"comes with a hefty price-tag"

Often the price-tag is figurative.  OED has a 1951 "price-tag"
('monetary price'), but not in this construction.

1957 (Jan. 1) _Directory of Fellowships in the  Arts and Sciences_
(Washington, D.C.: Assoc of Amer. Colleges) 5 [unverified GB snippet]:
For the modern graduate student, however, advanced learning comes with
a large price tag attached.

1968 _Yuma Daily Sun_ (Nov. 8) 4 [NewspArch]: Marketing a new
plaything with a hefty price tag.

1978 C. W. Brister _Take Care_ (Nashville, Tenn.: Broadmann) 45
[unverified GB snippet] : Small wonder that heroism comes with a high
price tag and that fear for one's own safety holds some would-be
helpers back.

The ref. on GB "1944" to Canadian politicians "Richard Nerysoo" and
"Stan J. Hovdebo"   shows the date to be about 40 years too early.

"With a hefty price-tag" gets close to 11,000,000 raw Google hits.

JL