"uppity"

Wed Nov 23 21:52:18 UTC 2011

Didn't some two-penny redneck politician refer to Obama as "uppity" during
the presidential campaign?  Of course, he was altogether unaware that there
are some who might find the term offensive.

Of course, I myself am altogether unaware that there are two-penny
politicians who might find the term "redneck" offensive.

GAT

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>wrote:

> Unless I missed it (Geoff Nunberg may have already weighed in elsewhere on
> this), nobody has commented on the recent flap over Rush Limbaugh's use of
> "uppity" to describe Michelle Obama. Glenn Beck has since defended Limbaugh
> on the grounds that "uppity" is just a synonym for "snobbish".  Here are a
> couple of pieces in the press about it:
>

> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/rush-limbaugh-michelle-obama-uppity-ism.html
>
> http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2011/11/yep-uppity-racist/45321/
>
> Dcitionaries have been quoted to "prove" that it's not really racist (see
> some of the comments to these stories and other coverage.)
>

> LH

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.