A lady rider "hot" on horseback

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 24 17:41:03 UTC 2011

What do the experts make of "hot" in a letter of Jane
Austen's?  (1805 April 8; see in GBooks "Jane Austen, her Life and
Letters", p. 130.)

This morning we have been to see Miss Chamberlayne look hot on
horseback. Seven years and four months ago we went to the same
riding-house to see Miss Lefroy's performance! What a different set
are we now moving in!

Hot, adj. and n. -- possibly:

"8. Excited ... a. Of a person ... eager, keen"?  (In every century
from OE through 2007.)

"12. Characterized by intensity or energy ... b. Of speed of movement
or action ... rapid, fast"?  (Earliest 1809.)

"12. ... c.  colloq. (orig. U.S.) Extremely good ... very skilled,
knowledgeable, or successful. Also with _on_ and a specified subject
or activity."?  (Earliest 1845.)

I vote for the last, and thus an antedating.  (And :-) another usage,
like "baseball," taken home from the U.S. to England by Austen.)

Joel