"select for"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 25 15:24:07 UTC 2011

It's also a term of art in linguistics:  a verb selects for its complements (or lack of same).  So a transitive verb like "hit" selects for a direct object, "eat" selects for an optional direct object, "give" selects for a direct and indirect object, and so on.  Not as universal as its use in Darwinian contexts perhaps, but that's just an issue of different scientists selecting for different evolutionary niches...

LH