We believe what? Transubstantiatioin?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 29 00:15:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "transubstantiation"

Well, that is THE primary belief of the entire theology of The One
True Faith that distinguishes it from Protestantism. I don't know why
anyone would be required to state his belief in it publicly, outside
of a trial for heresy. What could possibly motivate someone not
already a believer in the Transubstantiation, the absolute centerpiece
of the Mass, to go to Mass for other than anthropological reasons I
can't imagine.

FWIW, IMO, eliminating Latin was a bad idea, even granting that the
only reason that Latin came to be used in the first place, replacing
Greek and Aramaic, was to make the ceremony transparent to the
at-the-time Latin-speaking polloi.

Whatever, I miss the missals with Latin on one page and
pswaydo-Eliabethan English on the facing page.

Vere dignum et justum est ...
It is truly meet and just …

Only the epistle, the gospel, and the sermon need to be in the native
language - or in the native dialect - of the congregation.

WRT to dialect, back in the '90's, a colored priest who tried to
blackenize merely the outward form - which is supposed to be a
triviality, compared to the Transubstantiation - of the Holy sacrifice
of the Mass, in order to add some soul to it, wound up getting himself
and his congregation excommunicated.

Earlier, no less a light than J-P the Tooth freaked out when, in a
remote African village, he saw the local priest celebrating Mass in
the easily-obtainable-at-little-or-no-cost christianized, leopardskin
garments of a local high (pagan) priest, instead of in the usual,
nearly-impossible-to-obtain-in-the-heart-of-darkness-even-if-you-have-the-money-and-even-harder-to-maintain
silks and satins of European priestly vestments. And the priest even
used, in place of church bells, drums! Just because there were no
local foundries to make them!

It's necessary to avoid any deep thought on the subject of religious
belief and practice, lest it all begin to look like complete
assholery.
--
-Wilson
-----