We believe what? Transubstantiatioin?

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Nov 29 02:29:07 UTC 2011

Indeed, I don't think 'transubstantiation' is in the revised translation of the creed, but 'consubstantial' is.
Here's the USCCB's explanation on this change:
http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/roman-missal/frequently-asked-questions/consubstantial-with-the-father.cfm

-Matt Gordon
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Bethany Dumas [bethany.dumas at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 8:16 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: We believe what? Transubstantiatioin?

Ha! I brought one home when I visited Immaculate Conception last Friday (I
was a visitor, for I am "Roman Catholic Lite.") I asked permission to
borrow one - of the (Paulist) priest - and was told it had to stay in the
church. I then promised to return it, which I shall do as soon as the heavy
rain lets up. He allowed me to borrow it.

The most challenging word in the "Pew Card" was "consubstantial." I did not
see the word "transubstantiation"

Bethany