"(one's) to lose"

Sun Oct 2 22:37:32 UTC 2011

Here are some raw Google Books matches for "ours to lose" and "theirs
to lose". I may not understand the figure of speech being sought.

The dictionary of games and amusements - Page 114
books.google.com
Henry Frith - 1884 - Free Google eBook - Read
With fairy step we compass round The pyramid's capacious bound. Or,
step by step, ambitious climb The cloud-capped mountain's height
sublime. Riches, though we do not use, 'Tis ours to gain and ours to
lose.

Parochial sermons: Volume 4 - Page 169
books.google.com
John Henry Newman - 1839 - Free Google eBook - Read
They are ours to possess, that is our glory; they are ours to lose,
that is our solicitude. We can keep them, we have not to gain them, —
but we shall not keep them without fear and trembling ; still we have
them, and there is nothing ...

Babyhood: devoted exclusively to the care of infants and young ...:
Volume 3 - Page 189
books.google.com
1887 - Free Google eBook - Read
As it is ours to keep for always, with all the satisfaction the
possession of a good name affords, so is it not ours to lose, but is
fastened irrevocably upon us unless removed by legislative enactment.

A companion to the services of the Church of England for every ... - Page 248
books.google.com
Church of England services - 1843 - Free Google eBook - Read
Our privileges are ours to possess, that is our glory ; they are ours
to lose, that is our care. We can keep them, we have not to gain them,
— but we shall not keep them without fear and trembling ; still we
have them, ...

The history of English patriotism: Volume 1 - Page 236

books.google.comEsmé Cecil Wingfield-Stratford - 1913 - Free Google eBook - Read
Then, when imminent danger forced Englishmen to realize how priceless
a treasure was theirs to lose, when love and loyalty had risen to
fever-heat, came tidings that the galleons were scudding riddled and
defeated, with Drake at their ...

Punch: Volume 141
Mark Lemon, Henry Mayhew, Tom Taylor - 1911 - Snippet view
They have neared the stream, they have crossed the bridge, And they
stop in s:ght of the rugged ridge, And it 's " Flankers back ! " and "
Skirm shers in ! " And the summit is theirs to lose or win - To win
with honour or lose with ...