"(one's) to lose"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 3 12:06:34 UTC 2011

Joel asked me OT if I'd checked for "theirs to lose."

Yes.

Nothing whatsoever in America's Historical Newspapers.

GB has a number of pre-1980s occurrences of the simple string, but none
bears the current meaning.

A 1985 says, "It's theirs to lose or keep," but that's as close as they
come, AFAICT.

JL