Quote: Not, sir, from your dictionary (Gilbert Stewart to Samuel Johnson 182[9] [diary entry 1824])

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 3 14:29:23 UTC 2011

At 10/3/2011 06:06 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>Joel S. Berson wrote:
> > Garson's find will, I'm sure, be of more than a little interest to
> > Johnsonites, and I will pass it on.
>
>Thanks for your response, Joel. I agree with you that the article
>probably appeared earlier in the Salem Observer. In fact, there was
>another cite dated June 09, 1829 that contained a reprint of the story
>with the explicit title "From the Salem Observer". Here are the cite
>details:
>
>Date: June 09, 1829
>Paper: Eastern Argus
>Article: From the Salem Observer
>Page: 2
>Column: 2
>Location: Maine
>(GenealogyBank)

A definite attribution to the Salem Observer might reinforce a
Johnsonite's -- Or Gilbert Stuartite's -- confidence in their
supposition as to who wrote the diary.

>The Salem Observer is available in the GenealogyBank database, and so
>I was excited and then disappointed when all my searches failed to
>find the earlier article. In fact, the issue coverage in the relevant
>time period seemed remarkably sparse. NewsBank owns GenealogyBank and
>Readex: America's Historical Newspapers. The database content overlaps
>because the same digital scans are used sometimes I believe. The
>ReadEx website seems to say that the number of available issues in the
>database for the Salem Observer is very small:
>
>Salem Observer of Salem, MA has only 31 digitized issues between
>1823-12-20 and 1836-07-23.
>
>But I do not wish to dissuade someone from looking.

You've dissuaded me, since Harvard has only a microfilm, also 1823 to 1836!

Joel