eggcorn: a track player (thanks to Wilson and _melon farmer_)

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Tue Oct 4 05:04:08 UTC 2011

Saw Wilson's note on _melon farmer_ and thought immediately of the hilarious scene from Cormac McCarthy's _Suttree_, in which a character is sent to the work farm for violating watermelons in the field. Wilson referenced a song by Lou Rawls, whom there is never a good reason not to listen to. I clicked over to YouTube and listened to Street Corner Hustler's Blues--awesome--and followed up with Rawls' version of St. James Infirmary. There, in the first comment, I find this gem of an eggcorn:

I REMEMBER LISTENING TO THIS SONG AS A CHILD ON MY GRANDMOTHER'S huuuuuge!! A TRACK PLAYER. This is and tobacco road are my favorites. im 27 now and still love it!!!

A google search on "a track tape player" yields some bonafide examples:

1978 Pontiac Firebird Coupe SPECIAL EDITION GOLD
Power locks, power windows, AC and A track tape player
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1978-Pontiac-Firebird-Coupe-SPECIAL-EDITION-GOLD-W0QQAdIdZ319070198

VERY RARE 1977 BEDFORD VIVA HA 101 VAN EX ROYAL MAIL IN RED....
THE VIVA IS FITTED WITH A ORIGNAL A TRACK TAPE PLAYER WITH 3 OR 4 A TRACK TAPES VERY RARE INDEED.
http://vehicles.vivastreet.co.uk/vans+harpenden-al5/excelent-1977-bedford-ha-ex-royal-mail--very-rare/37868870
(UK example)

Johnny G says:
September 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm
This entire thing is a silly argument when you have people trying to quantify something that cannot be quantified like “being clutch”, “heart”, and all that other stuff that people believed was a valuable asset 30 years ago. It’s like we still have people using an A-track tape player. It is outdated and we have PROVEN there is a better way to evaluate players. Its frustating.
http://talksportsphilly.com/2010/09/nl-cy-young-race/

I checked eggcorn database and don't see it. Can't say its an unexpected eggcorn, but it somehow seemed just right for Lou Rawls, melon farmers, white on white, and St. James Infirmary. So thanks, Wilson, for some enjoyable surfing.

--Clai Rice