to "course-correct"

Wed Oct 5 16:32:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2011, at 6:56 AM, Charlie Doyle wrote:
>
> > Just yesterday I heard, "Well, he finally man upped."
>
> moderate number of hits for the externalized version ("man upped", "man upping").
> not surprising, given the character of "man up" as a fixed idiom.

I neglected to cover these forms in my treatment of "man up" last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/magazine/05FOB-onlanguage-t.html
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/2410/
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/2458/

But I did talk about "big-upped"/"big-upping" in this OUPblog post:

http://blog.oup.com/2008/01/big-up/

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer