fun with negatives

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 5 17:11:31 UTC 2011

Interesting.  I agree with you on the problem with interpretation.  At first glance, this seems like a hypernegation, i.e. it "should" be

> JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE PARANOID DOESN'T MEAN I CAN DRIVE FOR SH*T!!

But this is impossible, because "can drive for shit" only occurs with an adjacent negation--at least it sounds weird to me to say "It's not true that Robin can drive for shit" or "I doubt Robin can drive for shit" meaning "Robin can't drive for shit".  So the negation in "CAN'T" has to stay for what follows, yet the other negation has to stay too, because the relevant expression it plays off is the one we've discussed earlier:

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE PARANOID (IT) DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT AFTER YOU!

So the best we could do with the below would be something like

> JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE PARANOID DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT THE CASE THAT I CAN'T DRIVE FOR SH*T!!

which is too long to fit on a legible bumper sticker.  Life is hard!

LH