fun with phrases

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 5 18:28:58 UTC 2011

Buckwheat is one possible filler--an attempt to do something different
with a routine psedo-grain. More commonly, I've seen it with dry bread
or toasted flour and fat, both of which are quite ready to absorb any
blood extracted for the purpose. The Hungarian bread dumplings, which
look like 2-in. meatballs, in sausage casing (i.e., pig gut), come both
in blood and no-blood varieties. I am not aware of either Czech or
Austrian versions ever using blood for the dumpling, but that may be
because 1) there is no casing and 2) it was served to higher classes
than the blood-soaked kiszka. Blood pudding is not haute cuisine. Nor is
buckwheat--at least, it wasn't, until Americans reinvented buckwheat
pancakes as a vehicle for caviar. Buckwheat, millet, oats, offal, blood
products were generally poor-people food 300 years ago. But tastes change...

VS-)