fun with negatives

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 5 23:26:39 UTC 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>> Well, what happens with this?
> Andy: Bob, you can't drive for shit!
> Bob:  I can too drive for shit!
> DAD
>
> Possible only as a joke, IMO.
>
> JL

And part of a general pattern thereof, e.g.

"You don't know squat about it"
"I do too know squat about it"

or even the no doubt apocryphal "retraction" accredited to Disraeli or maybe Churchill, when he was asked to withdraw his declaration that half the members of Cabinet were asses.  "Very well, I withdraw my statement.  Half the Cabinet are not asses."

LH