"Walk the plank", 1763

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 7 17:52:22 UTC 2011

The following, located by a correspondent, is an antedating of the
OED (third ed., June 2006), "plank, n.", P2, a.  The earliest OED
quotation is 1789; also, the 1789 pertains to slave ships whereas the
following pertains to pirates.  It's not literally "walk the plank"
but rather "walk into the sea upon a plank", so perhaps it merely
deserves bracketing.

One presumably should be able to antedate this from the South
Carolina Gazette (or perhaps the Virginia Gazette), perhaps 4 to 6
weeks earlier.  I might try to find such (my experience with a
text-searchable database of the SCG has not been pleasant, but there
is always the microfilm.)

Joel