"Walk the plank", 1763 (now May 9)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 7 18:21:22 UTC 2011

Not yet the SCGazette from April, but earlier than the London
Chronicle of June 21 (same article):

Newport Mercury [R.I.]; Date: 05-09-1763; Issue: 244; Page: [2]; col. 3:

South Carolina. ... April 16.
     According to our last advices from St. Christophers [date set
for execution of 4 persons for piracy] ...four other small vessels
... were cruising ... manned by Spaniards and Caribbee-Indians, who
had taken several vessels, and among others one belonging to the
Grenades, whose crew, being English, they obliged to walk into the
sea upon a plank fixed for that purpose; this was related by one who,
through good swimming, got ashore at the Grenades.

Joel