Imperialism

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Oct 9 18:00:03 UTC 2011

My guess is that the OED has this one on its To Do list. But there are also problems  with the OED's treatment of the early development of the word. There's a very good review of its history, which I think is also useful for its general discussion of the role of lexical evidence in historical analysis, in Mark F. Proudman's "Words for Scholars: The Semantics of “Imperialism” (Jnrl of the Historical Society, Sept 2008). Proudman observes that the earliest uses in the English context were really extensions of sense (1) ("the rule of an emperor, esp. when despotic or arbitrary") and were pejoratives aimed specifically at Disraeli's high-handedness and one-man rule, with implicit comparison to Napoleon III: "'Imperialism,' for Disraeli’s critics, denoted an ostentatious, propagandistic, and politically partisan imperial policy, as morally unserious as it was unworthy.... 'Imperialism' first came into use with something like its present meaning in the 1870s, in order to name the !
 political policies and propaganda of Benjamin Disraeli. The term had at that point an air of false, trumped-up, self-vaunting music-hall braggadocio, long on boasts but short on substance." This would have been the presumed meaning in the OED's first cite for sense 2 (1878: "This infernal Afghan business is the natural consequence of Jingoism, Imperialism, ‘British interests’, [etc.].") as well as the second cite from 1881. It was only later that Disraeli managed to flip the word's appraisive valence to make the word largely commendatory, at least until the Boer War flipped it back again.

BTW Proudman gives an instructive quotation from the Conservative Colonial Secretary, Lord Carnarvon in 1878:

We have been of late much perplexed by a new word, “Imperialism,”
which has crept in among us . . . I have heard of Imperial policy, and
Imperial interests, but Imperialism, as such, is a newly coined word to me

Geoff