NYT Blogs: Headline from Pogue's Posts

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 9 23:49:02 UTC 2011

There's a "Often imitated - never equaled" in the _Brooklyn Daily
Eagle_ (June 4, 1884), p. 1.

It's an ad for umbrellas, so I assume the phrase was merely a
commercial cliche'.

Earlier in the _Milwaukee Daily Sentinel_ (Dec. 13, 1880), p. 7. The
product: Seeley's Hard Rubber Trusses.

And earlier still, for shirts, in the Baltimore _Sun_ (May 9, 1874), p. 1.

JL