those three words - more from "Chasing Cars"

Mon Oct 10 10:41:12 UTC 2011

I appreciate all the follow-ups on "lay" and "lie" the other day. I thought I had spent enough time as an adult getting those right, but obviously I still have a ways to go :)

Anyway, listening again to "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, I noticed the phrase "those three words," clearing referring to "I love you" though the word "love" does not appear in the song. (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/snowpatrol/chasingcars.html)

The use of "those three words" is culturally widespread with the alternative "those three little words." Three other citations where "I love you" is explicitly stated are:

1. "Those Three Words" by Brad (http://www.lyricstime.com/brad-those-three-words-lyrics.html)

I Could Have Written a Story
Out of Those Three Words
But As It Stands
My Organ's Pumping Notes
To the Skill of Your Smile
All the While I Ask For Flowers
To Be Placed By Your Cheek
So the Mornin' Is Sweet
The Pleasure Is Close
Tick Tick Tick Tick My Dear
Can't You See?
I Could Have Written a Story
Out of I Love You

2. "Those Three Words" by Pooja (http://thoughtfulrandomness.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/those-three-words/)

“Those three words, are said too much, they’re not enough…” [citing "Chasing Cars"]

 Saying I Love You is considered the most difficult thing.

3. "1-2-3-4" by Plain White T's (http://www.lyricsmania.com/1234_lyrics_plain_white_ts.html)

There’s only one thing
To Do
Three words