due diligence

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Oct 11 10:27:43 UTC 2011

These are all "commercial transactions." It's the real estate, not the
transaction, that's "non-commercial." My point being that "due diligence" is
still being used here in the sense of researching the value of a prospective
purchase.

But still, the phrase encompasses a wider sense than the narrow one of
mergers and acquisitions that is in the OED.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Benjamin Barrett
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:51 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: due diligence

Due diligence is often used in real estate for commercial transactions,
which would fit into the below meaning, but it is also used for
noncommercial transactions. I recall my real estate agent talking about this
concept when issues came up during home buying.

I recall him telling me that no matter how much you research something, you
can still go wrong because something nobody has ever thought of before might
occur or a disaster might strike. So you do your due diligence (take the
reasonable steps to investigate things) before buying and are satisfied that
if something goes wrong, you at least make a reasonable effort to avoid
problems.

Two examples:

1. Home Buying Due Diligence: Online Property Research Tools for City and
County Property Records
(http://walawrealty.com/2011/10/online-home-buying-tools-due-diligence-prope
rty-research/)

2. Home Inspections
(http://homebuying.about.com/od/homeshopping/Home_Inspections.htm)

Knowing exactly what you are buying is probably the biggest hurdle to jump
in a real estate transaction yet many people gloss over due diligence and
end up regretting it. Here is your guide to an assortment of inspections you
might want to consider and conduct before you hand over cash to close.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA