Q: An 1893 "Jack"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 13 00:58:03 UTC 2011

I am not certain about the use of "Jack" in the following, from the
coiner of "Afro-American", specifically in

"who, it may be stated parenthetically, has shown himself, in the
article under consideration, to be a "Jack," whether in or out of the box".

There are 10 OED entries for "Jack" or "jack" as a noun (although
numbered from one to eleven!?), so I have not tried to tease out a
possible meaning.  Is it the simple and obvious "short for jackass" of n.1?

"I will not be deemed presumptuous arrogant, or guilty of impropriety
if I introduce myself to some readers of the "Recorder," who may
wonder who is this Afro-American "Jack in the box," who "pops" up to
answer Isaih C. Wears, the eminent American (Negro) philosopher, who,
it may be stated parenthetically, has shown himself, in the article
under consideration, to be a "Jack," whether in or out of the box. If
I am "Jack in the box," and although only 33 years old, I have a
record of honorable achievements, which the "Jack out of the box,"
Mr. Wears, cannot show, although he is close to the dignified,
honorable and beautiful period of human life, three score and ten;
and if I am spared so long, and shall become like Mr. Wears, a "Jack
out of the box." I shall know better than to write an article such as
the one I am attempting to answer. I have for years read his
writings. I have often listened to his eloquent tongue, but this
article surprises me. It seems that on this occasion, when Mr. Wears,
the great American (Negro) "Jack" escaped from his "box" to write
this article, he must have left behind him some essential
intellectual equipments."

Collection: African American Newspapers
Publication: THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER