Imitation or counterfeit?

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Oct 13 12:57:38 UTC 2011

As we search for the aptest descriptor, let us not overlook the utility of "bogus."

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Garson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:22 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Below is a transcript from a 2010 episode of the chef Anthony
Bourdain's television show (according to the webpage description) that
uses the phrases "fake yangcheng lake crab" and "counterfeit yangcheng
hairy crabs".

http://goo.gl/aSXyx
http://www.livedash.com/transcript/anthony_bourdain__no_reservations-%28shanghai%29/6630/TRAVP/Thursday_June_24_2010/345713/

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Shanghai
Aired on Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 (6/24/2010) at 07:00 PM

00:04:38 Now we have to bring a topic with the fake yangcheng lake
crab because the yangcheng lake crab is so popular.

00:04:44 The battle over counterfeit yangcheng hairy crabs has been epic.

00:04:48 The current quality-control strategy involves laser-etching
the crabs with a unique authorization code.

00:04:54 You call a central database to determine whether you have an
authentic yangcheng crab or not.

00:04:59 It's a call worth making.

00:05:02 An estimated five out of six crabs are fakes.

00:05:06 For the rising middle class in china, a yangcheng crab
weekend represents a pricy but affordable luxury, a real taste of the
good life.