hocking loogies

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 13 14:55:35 UTC 2011

               mail.com>,<201110131413.p9DAlPnt030199 at willow.cc.uga.edu>

I entered "hawking lugers" into google search.  That's the term I knew.  It=
 said "Do you mean hocking loogies?"  In google that's the term with all th=
e hits.
=20
In my day it was "hawking up lugers/loogers".  The "aw" in "hawk" was and s=
till is predominantly pronounced as "awe"=2C IPA's backward c (open o)=2C t=
he vowel sound in "awe". =20
=20
Now that I think of it=2C to make the "awe" sound one forms the mouth just =
as to "hawk up a luger." (clearing up mucus from the throat to the front of=
 the mouth for spitting.).  One lowers the tongue and pinches in the cheeks=
 to make the "awe" sound.  An exageration of this using throat frication ca=
n bring up mucus for spitting.  It's onomatopoeia. =20
=20
Of course awe-droppers have changed "hawK" to "hock".  They substitute "ah"=
 for "awe" for all words dropping the "awe" sound out of the foenubet.  But=
 the above phrase brings up an interesting thought.  Who are the folks doin=
g the awe-dropping?  It's the same folks doing all the hocking - spitting. =
 What care these folks about onomatopoeia=2C or letter-sound correspondence=
?  Can they read in the first place?
=20
They need be taught to "hawk" up a loogie=2C not "hock" up a loogie.  And w=
hen they form their mouth doing it - "that's it!  Tell them they are making=
 the "awe" sound.  An example of onomatopoeia!  That's the ticket.

Tom Zurinskas=2C Conn 20 yrs=2C Tenn 3=2C NJ 33=2C now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk

> Date: Thu=2C 13 Oct 2011 10:13:33 -0400
> From: Berson at ATT.NET
> Subject: Re: hocking loogies
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------=
------
> Sender: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Re: hocking loogies
------

> At 10/13/2011 08:30 AM=2C Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> >In HDAS - like so many wonders of our language.
>
> Which -- hocking/hawking or loogies? (I see the latter is in
> Urbandictionary=2C and Wikipedia has a disambiguation page but the
> "Mucus" article does not contain the word=3B but it's not in the OED.)
>
> Joel
>

> >JL
> >
> >On Thu=2C Oct 13=2C 2011 at 8:25 AM=2C Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> =
wrote:
> > -----------------------
> > > Sender: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > > Poster: Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> > > Subject: Re: hocking loogies

--------

> > > Those of us who still pronounce "open o's" recognize that the
> > customary spelling of the gerund is "hawking=2C" which corresponds
> > with OED's "hawk" v.3.
> > >
> > > --Charlie

ecolumnistmanifesto.blogspot.com/2005/07/how-do-you-spell-loogie.html+%22ho=
ck+a+loogie%22&cd=3D4&hl=3Den&ct=3Dclnk&gl=3Dus).