Imitation or counterfeit?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 13 19:01:53 UTC 2011

Krab used to be a US trademark--not sure what the status is now. One
problem with "krab" is that this is how "crab" is spelled in other
languages (e.g., Polish) and thus would cause confusion among
multi-lingual speakers. I thought FDA requires packaged surimi to be
labeled "imitation crab meat" (or "lobster meat" or "scallop", depending
on shape and flavorings), but then I found this:

http://goo.gl/GrRFl
> The preamble to FDA's proposed rule further explains as follows:"
> Allergic reactions to cochineal extract and/or carmine in a variety of
> foods (grapefruit juice, the alcohol beverage Campari, a popsicle,
> candy, yogurt, and _artificial_crabmeat_) and [certain] cosmetics * *
> * have been reported in scientific and medical literature since 1961."
> 71 FR 4839-4840.

[Cochineal is insect-derived food color additive (red) that has largely
been replaced by artificial color agents and krill extract (in farmed
salmon).]

But I was wrong on the regulations--the requirement changed in 2006:

http://goo.gl/ocuCQ
> Until now, the Food and Drug Administration has required that the
> product, known as surimi, be labeled "imitation crab." But after a
> dozen years of lobbying, the seafood industry has succeeded in getting
> permission to drop that unappealing description. Instead, it may now
> use a new, long-winded label: "Crab-flavored seafood, made with
> surimi, a fully cooked fish protein." The phrase can be adapted for
> surimi made to resemble lobster, scallops, shrimp and other seafood,
> as well.

One other brilliant fake food is "imitation blueberries" which fall
directly under the traditional interpretation of "Ersatz"--there is
nothing natural in that product, from color to flavor.

     VS-)