name regret

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 15 01:19:00 UTC 2011

I know exactly what you meant, Ron. I am aware of the supposed political
divide in English departments. But, I thought, this might play out in
more than one way--perhaps some would actually think it to be cool that
someone named after Ronald Reagan could be an unabashed leftist. I must
admit, though, that I *am* surprised that *you* were named after
Ronaldus Magnus--I did not expect him to be *that* popular in the early
1940s. I always thought of him as a minor--read, "obscure"--and mediocre
actor, who rose to prominence as a staunch McCarthyite and Nixonite
during his years at the Screen Actors Guild. I must have missed his
early sex appeal, but his looks had /always/ been more powerful than his
brains.

I promise not to mock you for the middle R.

     VS-)