Quote: your liberty ends just where my nose begins (1894)

Sun Oct 16 01:54:29 UTC 2011

Update: In 1882 the Prohibition advocate John B. Finch employed a
version of the saying about liberty and nose punching (given further
below). That's the earliest instance I could find. The Quote
Investigator website now has a post on this topic. Thanks again to
Jon.

Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/15/liberty-fist-nose/

[PVJF] 1887, The People Versus The Liquor Traffic: Speeches of John B.
Finch, Edited by Charles Arnold McCully, Speech VI: The Defence
Reviewed, [An Address delivered at the Opera-House, Iowa City, Sunday
evening, May 7, 1882], Start Page 109, Quote Pages 127-128,
[Twenty-Fourth (Revised) Edition], Funk & Wagnalls, New York. (Google
Books full view)

<Begin excerpt>
Have not I a right to swing my arm?
Yes, but your right to swing your arm leaves off where my right not to
have my nose struck begins.”
<End excerpt>

http://books.google.com/books?id=juEeAQAAMAAJ&q=%22my+nose%22#v=snippet&