"Luck out"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 16 13:26:40 UTC 2011

>The "adjective" form seems to me to be basically a passive
> participle reflecting a transitive application.

Maybe. But cf. "punched out," 'no longer able to punch; out of
punches.' To "punch somebody out" means something entirely different.

"The Press: Lucked Out" is indeed the entire headline. The phrase
doesn't reappear in the article.

I prefer to consider "lucked out" as an adj. in cases like this
because, as the headline shows, it conveys its meaning despite a
somewhat obscure semantic structure.

The writer must have assumed that the meaning was transparent. The
rarity of the form suggests, perhaps, some regional restriction. (Cf.
positive "anymore," which is, for many of us, equally bizarre, while
perfectly transparent to others.)

What's certain is that both positive and negative applications have
existed, and that the positive ones appear to come earlier and the
negative ones have never been as firmly established.

One of the blog comments observes that the HDAS exx. of negative "luck
out" are from "suboptimal sources."  I believe that reflects a very
weak "literary" tradition rather than a questionable existence.

I recall my surprise at the certainty with which the two middle-aged
New Yorkers quoted in HDAS asserted - as a by-product of another
conversation - that "luck out" was "originally negative" in their
experience. They had met just recently.  Perhaps they were thinking of
"lucked out" adj. rather than "to luck out."

JL