government they

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 16 21:33:39 UTC 2011

This is actually the third plausible interpretation under which "they"
is perfectly normal (I am assuming, you mean "gender-avoiding they").

So, for me, any one of these three is fine:

1) gender-avoiding singular "they", referring to a nameless President
2) ordinary "they", referring to "government" as an organization
3) ordinary "they", referring to both the President an the government
together

So any way one reads that statement, there is nothing "odd" about
"they". Drezner ought to be spanked.

     VS-)