Quip in the news: Heads I win, tails you lose (antedating 1739)

Mon Oct 17 23:44:26 UTC 2011

The heads-tails idiom with a flavor of banking chicanery caught Barry
Popik's eye also.

The Big Apple: "Heads, I win; Tails, the government will bail me out"
February 01, 2010
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/heads_i_win_tails_the_government_will_bail_me_out/

<Begin excerpt>
When flipping a coin to decide an outcome, it’s usually "Heads, I win;
tails, I lose" or "Heads, I win; tails, you win." The dishonest saying
is: "Heads, I win; tails, you lose."

By the late 1980s, the following saying developed regarding banks with
losses protected by the government: "Heads, I win; tails, the taxpayer
loses."
<End excerpt>