fun with phrases

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 19 15:28:35 UTC 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Baker, John wrote:

>        My understanding of Friedman's claim is that he took an existing phrase that is sometimes seen on signs in stores that sell breakables (though not, I understand, at Pottery Barn), gave it a name, and applied it to international relations.  He did not claim to have invented the phrase itself, and what he did wouldn't have made much sense if he had.

Right, but I'm not clear on why it's more of an innovation to apply the "you break it you bought it" to international relations than it is to teenagers' misbehavior, to the workings of karma, to welfare policy, etc.  The metaphor seems to have predated Friedman by decades, although that's part of what I'm asking here: how many decades?

LH