Q: Did Latin's "niger" (black) originate from an African word for the Niger River?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 23 00:39:45 UTC 2011

This sounds like what we linguists call "garbazh."   There could
scarcely have been enough influential "Nigerians" in the Roman Empire
to have introduced a new, basic Latin word like _niger_.  And even if
there were, how could a name (used by only some of them, presumably)
for an African river become a common Latin word for "black"?

The etymology of Latin _niger_ is admittedly unknown.

What is true is that the Romans also used _ater_ for "black."  As I
understand it, _ater_ generally meant "dull black" and even
"black-skinned." _Niger_, by way of contrast, meant most other sorts
of black and dark, including deep gray, dark brown, sable, etc., and
was also more likely to be used figuratively ("shady," "funereal,"
"black-hearted," etc.).

JL