Q: Did Latin's "niger" (black) originate from an African word for the Niger River?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 23 02:30:20 UTC 2011

--

Possible etymology of "Niger" [river] is discussed on the Wikipedia page.

Latin "niger" is thunk by some to be derived from IE: e.g., the AHD
IE-roots list shows it from *nek[w]-t-, "night", alongside Germanic
*naht, Latin "nox", Greek "nyx".

-- Doug Wilson