fun with phrases

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 24 22:36:42 UTC 2011

Great find.

What's interesting is that until American families became more mobile
than ever, in the 20th C., any "new kid on the block" would usually be
an unthreatening new-born - hardly cause for a kid-wide (or cop-wide)
alert. Assuming you even where there were "blocks."

The "new kid on the block" in the proverb is clearly an outsider
trying to muscle in - successfully, it would appear, so far.

The earliest I find in NewspArch (though w/o "Look/watch out!":

1957  INS in _Lebanon [Pa.] Daily News_ (Dec. 14) 8: Bradley and St.
Louis may be the powers of the Missouri Valley again this year, but
they'll have to contend with a tough new kid on the block, Cincinnati.

Most fig. refs.  to a "new kid on the block" in NewspArch, however,
suggest instead - through the 1960s - that the new kid is unsure of
himself, eager to be liked, and is generally picked on by bullies and
(what were then considered to be) "gangs."

Expectations (or urban experiences) seem to have changed considerably
after the '60s.

JL