another reversal

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 25 13:46:33 UTC 2011

I was browsing some archived articles and came across this:

> Another question surrounds the issue of volunteers for the Games.
> Romney has said it was never certain that the Games would attract a
> sufficient number of volunteers. ... But many Salt Lake officials say
> they never doubted that Utah, with its public-spirited culture, would
> fail to produce a large corps of volunteer workers. It did: 25,000 of
> them.
[ROMNEY OVERSTATES RESCUE OF GAMES RECORDS INDICATE FINANCES WERE
STRONG: [THIRD EDITION] Boston Globe [Boston, Mass] 31 Mar 2002: .1. ]
ProQuest

"Never doubted that Utah would fail to produce...", to my ear, sounds as
if they expected NOT to get enough volunteers. But the intent is clearly
the opposite--they "never doubted" that "Utah would produce".

     VS-)