'Please Warm My Weiner' BO CARTER, Delta Blues Guitar Legend - YouTube

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 29 06:24:20 UTC 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0M2zEx-7g

Is there any reason why OED fails to cover the appropriate meaning?

Then, there is the Wienerschitzel complement, but it's far more rare. UD
really butchers it.

     VS-)

PS: It seems to be a good occasion to antedate "wiener roast" (1920):

http://goo.gl/b427a
Recreation. Volume 4(2). May, 1910
Play Leadership in Buffalo, N. Y. p. 52
> A 'wiener roast' was given to all the Buffalo playground girls entered
> in a mass drill.

But it's worse than that--not only are there plenty of hits between 1910
and 1920, but they point to a bad definition:

>  b.   wiener roast n. N. Amer. a barbecue at which wieners are cooked
> and served.

A barbeque? Really? And here I thought it was just a late night campfire
activity with hot dogs skewered on sticks.

Although the earliest "wiener" entries are for wienerwurst (wiener A.
2.) and it is crossreferenced with Vienna sausage, "wiener sausage" ends
up under "wiener" (B. a.) without a separate subentry.

Wienerwurst starts in 1889, wiener in 1904 and Vienna sausage (Vienna
1.a. (h)) in 1958.

I have "wiener sausage" from 1903 and "Wiener sausages" from 1901.

http://goo.gl/LvULU
Ninth Biennial Report of the State Dairy and Agricultural Commissioner .
1903
Meat Analysis [table starts on p. 123]. p. 143

The same volume has "wieners" on pp. 152-161.

http://goo.gl/cLIND
Bulletin No. 110. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Department of
Agriculture. Compiled by George G. Hutchison. 1903
Part II. Giving a List of Analyses of Samples of Food , Made by the
Diary and Food Division of the Department of Agriculture, from July,
1902, to December, 1902. pp. 93, 127

In both tables, "wiener sausage" is right next to "potted chicken" and
"potted tongue", as well as other assorted meaty goodness.

One other entry is not from an Ag Dept. table--it matches the date of
the earliest OED wiener quotation.

http://goo.gl/x3C88
Pediatrics. Volume 16(11). November 1904
A Year's Experience with the Convulsions of Children. By A. S. Hanson.
p. 661
> The spasm had lasted something over one hour. The following day the
> child was somewhat stupid, but made an uninterrupted recovery. The
> cause of the convulsion was an evening dinner consisting of wiener
> sausage and bananas.

I guess, Botulism had not been discovered yet.

> Herald V. was thirteen months old. His first attack was tonic in
> character, lasting but a few minutes; it was over before my arrival;
> the child had a temperature of 104 degrees F., the lungs were somewhat
> congested; he had vomited several times; the fever and bronchitis
> lasted a few days. The attack was probably due to wiener sausage which
> the child had been eating a few hours before.

Parenting is not what it used to be--no more raw Wiener sausages to 13
month old toddlers!

http://goo.gl/m64m0
Stolen Correspondence: From the "Dead Letter" Office Between Musical
Celebrities. By Platon Brounoff. New York: 1901
Countess Marianna de Pompadour to Hector Berlioz. p. 77
> /Thursday--/"Wagner Night." We begin with the end of the "Nibelungen";
> after that comes Strauss' waltz, "Wiener Sausages," finishing up with
> Moskowsky's "Serenade," or the "Washington Post March," by Sousa.

Wiener can be taken back further, although there are too many hits for a
meaningful search. But this one incidentally also antedates Frankfurter,
plus has a bizarre combination "Frankfurt Wieners".

http://goo.gl/quRff
Harper's New Monthly Magazine. Volume LXXXIV(D). January 1892
Popular Life in Austro-Hungarian Capitals. By Wilhelm Singer. p. 224
> He will conclude, perhaps, that a little sausage and cheese from a
> dealer in "delicatessen," or a breaded veal-cutlet (Wiener Schnitzel)
> procured from the waiter, or a couple of small sausages with vinegar
> (of the kind which in Vienna are called Frankfurters, and in Frankfurt
> Wieners), constitute too frugal a meal according to his notion. He may
> insinuate, too, that the dishes presented excel more by the generous
> abundance of their quantity than by the fineness of art displayed in
> their preparation.

Aside from Wienerwurst, there's also Wienerbraten--but that's just a
meat preparation [ http://goo.gl/mHD3b 1889].

Also antedating Wienerwurst:

http://goo.gl/dB2Yz
Pharmaceutical Record. Volume 6(23). December 1, 1886
The Drug Trade of the Present and Future. By G. H. Chas. Klie. p. 398/1
> I have met some that were able, besides compounding prescriptions, not
> only to eat schweizer-käse, wiener-wurst and sauer-kraut, but also
> sold it over the counter as a regular branch of the business.

This one may be worth a square bracket inclusion or an outright one--but
it goes back another 10 years.

http://goo.gl/CTmiw
Neighbor's Home Mail. A Patriotic Magazine. Volume 3(9). Phelps, NY:
October 1876
Shots from an Outpost. After Taps. p. 138/2