Atheists' Billboard Falsely Attributes Quote To Thomas Jefferson

Sat Oct 29 13:52:40 UTC 2011

 Victor Steinbok wrote:

> http://goo.gl/rQdAA
>
>> A billboard in Costa Mesa, Calif., is getting some attention, but it's
>> certainly not the kind its sponsors were hoping for.
>> The sign, paid for by atheist group Backyard Skeptics, includes a
>> quote about Christianity attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

Thanks for pointing to this story Victor. Barry Popik, always au
courant, has a webpage about this topic. When he told me about the
story a couple days ago I looked in Google and found the 1906 citation
below (but Barry had already located it.)

Link to Barry's webpage: http://goo.gl/kxVw6

Title: Views of religion, Part 1
Compiled by: Rufus King Noyes
http://books.google.com/books?id=MlIuAAAAYAAJ&q=mythologies#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
THOMAS JEFFERSON PRES USA

I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the
world, and I do not find in our particular superstition, Christianity,
one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded upon fables and
mythologies.
[End excerpt]

The 1906 collection has many quotes ascribed to Jefferson (and others)
that are critical of religion.
http://books.google.com/books?id=MlIuAAAAYAAJ&q=Jefferson#v=snippet&

The world of quotations is similar to many industries that experience
heavy demands. New items must be manufactured and old items must be
improved all the time.

Continuing Victor's message: