no rhyme for "castle"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 31 02:10:31 UTC 2011

And why, if there's a wiki entry and various other descriptive sites on bastle houses (and various dictionary entries defining "bastle" as a medieval fortified house), is there no OED entry?  Is "Bastle" considered a proper name only?  (Apparently it's from "Bastille".)  Prejudice against unfashionable Northumberland and the Borders?  (Of course, *I* wouldn't have known from bastles if I had been marched into a time machine and tortured in the dungeon of one, but I'm not the OED.)

LH