Query: Courses in Etymology

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 31 17:14:30 UTC 2011

Cecilia A. E. Luschnig used to teach a class called "English Word Origins"
at the Univ. of Idaho. She retired some years ago, and I don't know whether
her successor took over for her.
It is still listed in their course catalog and as an independent study
course.

http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/isi/Syllabi/flen243.pdf

She authored several books on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Etyma-C-Luschnig/dp/0819125717/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4

http://www.amazon.com/Etymidion-Students-Workbook-Vocabulary-Building/dp/0819148385/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_8

http://www.amazon.com/Etymidion-II-C-Luschnig/dp/0819193879/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_5

As well as one of the standard texts for learning ancient Greek:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Ancient-Greek-Literary-Approach/dp/0872208893/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

I went to the U. of Idaho to study Systematic Botany, Geology, and Forestry
and ended up majoring in Classics and Microbiology. Of all the subjects I
studied, I found Classics to have the best teachers, IMHO. I didn't take a
Linguistics class until I went to the Univ. of Wisc., and then I was
thoroughly hooked: I've been a language dilettante ever since.

Eric