The wiener and its warming (and the OED)

Mon Oct 31 20:33:05 UTC 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>
>> Hear, hear! It is pretty rare to see "barbecue" spelled with a "c" anymore. Insisting on it is pedantry.
>>
>> And I didn't know that's what you had to do to have a barbecue in the South. As long as there's flame and the flame is outdoors, it's BBQ. (Not sure if "barbie" is going to stick, but Outback is trying hard.)
>
> As long as you pronounce it "BAA-bie" /'bae:bi/, to distinguish it clearly from the doll, the copper, and the Nazi.
>
> LH

Barbie is the only one of those I got.

BTW, it occurred to me that barbecue gets more complicated with Korean barbecue. That is often cooked indoors, though a distinguishing feature is the marinade used. When you "do Korean barbecue" (at home or at a restaurant), though, I think you are "cooking (Korean) barbecue" but not "having a barbecue."

BB