The wiener and its warming (and the OED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 31 22:44:02 UTC 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> Hear, hear! It is pretty rare to see "barbecue" spelled with a "c" _anymore_. Insisting on it is pedantry.
>>

> I agree. But, OTOH, it's pretty common to see that use of _anymore_, anymore.

BB's "anymore" is perfectly good for mainstream (non-positive "anymore") dialect speakers, given the licensing by the negative adverbial "rare".  For me, but not for pos. "anymore" speakers, WG's "anymore", in the context of "common", is still exotic (though recognizable, and indeed quite common in Pennsylvania, as well as much of the Midwest).

LH