White and red beers

Thu Sep 1 06:34:47 UTC 2011

My bottle of Blue Moon says

Belgian White
Belgian-style wheat ale

Although I guess whites are a form of wheat, nobody wanting a white would ask for a wheat. Also, I think it's fair to say that coriander is a common ingredient in white beers, though not necessarily present.

AFAIK, Weissbier or just weiss is marketed as that; I had never identified weisses as being whites, though I'm well aware that wits are whites.

The problem with beer/ale applies also to brown. I think it's reasonably common to interchange the two.

I see also that hefeweizen is not in the OED. It has become very much a standard type of beer (in Seattle, anyway). Also, I think it is time to lose the hyphen of "barley-beer."

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA