"Let me play _an evil's advocate_." [N(ow) T(ext) -- and citations]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 2 15:52:04 UTC 2011

Perhaps some connection with "the evil one" = "the Devil"?

Also, Google gives about 592 hits for "*the* evil's advocate" (only
31 for "*an* evil's advocate").  (Arnold cites a couple below.)

Joel