Important, overlooked quote

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 2 20:14:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> the Confederate Founders explicitly banned the importation of new slaves from every place on earth
> except slave-holding areas within the United States of America.

So, that "in-house," so to speak, slave-breeding program envisioned in
the novel, Mandingo, wasn't merely a figment of its author's
imagination.

Good to know!

OTOH, it's comforting, yet, somehow, disheartening, to discover that
the "slaveholdery," to coin a word, had a sufficient grasp of economic
theory that it perceived the problems inherent in continuing the
practice of outsourcing its acquisition of labor, at a time when the
external supply was in the process of being eliminated.

--
-Wilson
-----