"interpolate"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 3 18:21:47 UTC 2011

I found a couple of what may be intermediate items--using "interpollate"
(not all hits in GB are useful).

http://goo.gl/EkaDZ
Unsettling Beliefs: Teaching Theory to Teachers. By Josh Diem, Robert J.
Helfenbein. 2008
p. 63

> She follows: "the materiality of ideology 'interpollates' or 'hails'
> historical subjects so that consciousness becomes an effect rather than a
> cause. This thesis of the materiality of language is key in
> postructuralism"...

M/f. [Issues 11-12] 1986 [?] (unverified, except for page number and title)
p. 58

> It surges from the clash of difference, where opposition shudders into
> indeterminacy: and it interpollatesboth beings in a field of forces, like a
> switchboard that nobody controls.

http://goo.gl/zSNjg
Double Agents: Women and Clerical Culture in Anglo-Saxon England. By Clare
A. Lees, Gillian R. Overing
p. 129

> The two anonymous Lives *interpollated* into the collection offer further
> dimensions-- Mary of Eygpt [sic] (II, XXIIIb), discussed further in the next
> section, is the only old female body and redeemed fallen woman in the entire
> collection, while that of Euphrosyne (II, XXXIII) complements Eugenia in its
> emphasis on cross-dressing within same-sex monasteries.

But not all "interpollate" arise from "interpellate"--some are just typos
for "interpolate".

http://goo.gl/WHv3w
The Shape of Intimacy: Private Space and the British Scial Imagination,
1650-1770. [Ph. D. Dissertation] By Danielle Bobker. 2007
p. 171

> When it does occur in The Stage-coach Journey to Exeter, group conversation
> consists in the sharing of (highly conventional) stories of heartache, many
> of which Manley interpollates in her letters. But the lowest types are
> explicitly excluded.

http://goo.gl/A8tv3
The Neighbor: Three Inquiries in Political Theology. By Slavoj Žižek, Eric
L. Santner, Kenneth Reinhardp. 30. Footnote 47.

> Words and phrases in square brackets, except those taken from the original
> German text, are interpollatedby the editors of the Standard Edition.

[These are not exhaustive on either count.]

A simple misreading of "interpellates" as "interpollates" by a typesetter
(or editor--in a more contemporary version of publishing) can lead to an
editorial correction to "interpolate". "Interpollate" specifically shows up
in Words You Should Know How to Spell: An A to Z Guide to Perfect Spelling.
The "correction" is to "interpolate"--no explanation and no other options.

VS-)