Query: Earliest attestation of "Razzy Dazzy Jazzy Band"

Sun Sep 4 09:07:03 UTC 2011

An article that may be relevant appeared in the Oakland Tribune of
California in 1903 in the section "New Things Strange Curious." A
picture is included with the article that shows six "urchin" band
members with instruments.

The band is referred to as: "Spasm Band" of New Orleans. The article
does not mention Razzy, Dazzy, or Jazzy. According to the New York
Times and the Chicago Tribune articles that I cited above the original
name of the band was "Spasm Band" in 1895. (But there were other Spasm
bands I believe.)

I do not know if this is the band in question, a knock-off of the
band, a Menudo-like version of the band with an ever-shifting line-up
of members, or an unrelated band. The members look too young perhaps
to be playing in 1895, but it is unclear exactly when the picture was
taken.

Cite: 1903 February 26, Oakland Tribune, Page Title: New Things
Strange Curious, "SPASM BAND" OF NEW ORLEANS, NA Page 12, Oakland,
California. (NewpaperArchive)

The most bizarre musical fraternity on record is the Spasm Band of New
Orleans. It is composed of six urchins who divide their time equally
between mischief and selling papers in the day time, but as soon as
night falls they blossom forth as full fledged members, managers and
active players of the Spasm Band.

(End excerpt)